Re: 2023 Week 8: UW Football - Arizona State

Post by Captain 97 » Wed Oct 25, 2023 3:24 pm

Walla Walla Dawg II wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2023 10:24 pm
D-train wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2023 9:17 pm
Mon Oct 23, 2023 9:12 pm
We all need to write this game off as a Clunker of a Game and move on. I'm tired of thinking about it.
:x
UCLA destroy Stanford and we will too..
That's what I like....positive comments, not getting into the minutiae of why we had a Clunker.
Well I sure hope the coaching staff is getting into the minutiae because it wasn't just bad execution. There were schematic things that the ASU defense took us to the wood shed on.

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Wed Oct 25, 2023 3:39 pm

Captain 97 wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2023 3:24 pm
Mon Oct 23, 2023 10:24 pm
D-train wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2023 9:17 pm

UCLA destroy Stanford and we will too..
That's what I like....positive comments, not getting into the minutiae of why we had a Clunker.
Well I sure hope the coaching staff is getting into the minutiae because it wasn't just bad execution. There were schematic things that the ASU defense took us to the wood shed on.
I’m sure they are. That’s their job….not ours. LOL

ddraig

Post by ddraig » Fri Oct 27, 2023 6:52 pm

D-train wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2023 5:16 pm
I played defense when I was 13 yo. A 93 lb DE. :lol: I just didn't have the aggression required for the job but did have 1 career sack. I got to the Tree of a QB and wrapped my arms around his shins and he literally just toppled over a like a tree being felled in the forest. lol

Can't believe I had the instinct to wrap the guy up but NFL players still don't. :roll:
Played DE in college at 6'1" and 214 pounds. Small college, nearly 50 years ago. They no longer play football. This was back in the day when a head slap was legal. I basically created a papier mache, athletic tape, cast on my left arm. Used it to hit QB's hands just after they threw. I'd hit their extended fingers. Put out three QB's in one game. Broken or dislocated fingers. All it took was a head slap on the tackle's helmet and I'd be in the backfield saying, "Hi, guys!" I was a mean little sucker!

But taking down RB's and QB's wasn't a DE's only objective. I had to protect the LB's and DB's behind me on running plays. Watch for screens, and sweeps. Still, at my size, I didn't have to play LB where thinking was at a premium. And I had no trouble using both arms to tackle. It's like the only thing they want to do today is strip the ball or hit hard with their shoulders. Use your fricking arms!