Seattle or Bust wrote: ↑Sun Oct 04, 2026 6:39 pm
$17.5M into 2x relievers on top of Munoz/Dominguez making $20M doesn't seem like anything Dipoto would ever be in on.
Seiya is a fine add... but being 32... I don't see the M's paying that sort of $$ out given recent comments by Stanton.
I take ownership of this plan - entirely. I put it together based on what I felt was achievable as well as what is simply desirable. Putting this much into relievers would, as you say, not be in keeping with what the M’s have done in the past. No arguments here.
But it is my belief that the M’s may start to break with convention. I’m not expecting them to start spending like the Dodgers, but I think that a businessman like Stanton has to be somewhat reflective about a product that has failed to completely. Improving the product would increase his profits, and this starts with investing more in the product itself.
Sure, it’s hopeful thinking. Right now, hope is all that I have. But the fact that they’ve let almost the entire coaching staff go tells me that they are willing to shake things up a little. I’m cautiously optimistic that they start doing things a little differently with the free agent market as well.
And I don’t think I’m that far off with the Suzuki proposal. At his age, he’s not gonna go for a one year prove it contract. He’s already proven it. He’s likely going to sign at least a three or four year contract, and some of the puns are speculating a five-year contract. Again, the Mariners might very well offer a four-year deal to a 32-year-old player. Lots of times teams that make these kinds of deals never wind up, keeping a player at the tail end of the contract. He would be a monster addition to our outfield, and the Mariners could then get creative with their infield.