How is the team going to get more right handed?

Seattle or Bust
Posts: 11974
Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2022 7:09 pm

Re: How is the team going to get more right handed?

Post by Seattle or Bust » Tue Sep 22, 2026 6:52 pm

Captain 97 wrote: ↑
Tue Sep 22, 2026 6:41 pm
Seattle or Bust wrote: ↑
Tue Sep 22, 2026 3:39 pm
1B: Naylor - lefty
2B: Young - lefty
SS: Emerson - lefty
3B: Donovan - lefty
RF: Canzone - lefty
CF: Julio - righty
LF: Laz - lefty
C: Cal - switch
DH: Raley - lefty
Donovan is not a true Third baseman and I also don't know that I Like the idea of just turning over the Keys at SS to Emerson at this point. They should add a right hander on that side of the infield. Emerson can take the other spot with Donovan as a fall back working as a super utility player. I'd Also look at adding a legitimate Right Handed Outfielder to work into the rotation with Laz, Raley and Canzone.
I can assure you I've explored a lot of the avenues here.

If there were a quality right-handed bad to add at SS or 3B I'd be on it. Right-handed hitting was a mess in '26... especially among infielders. Only 31 qualified right-handed hitters hit above a 100 wRC+. I doubt many others will be available via trade. Isaac Parades possibly? But he's on the Astros... so...

Otto Lopez? Maybe I guess.

User avatar
D-train
Posts: 83412
Joined: Mon Apr 29, 2019 1:33 am
Location: Quincy, MA

Re: How is the team going to get more right handed?

Post by D-train » Tue Sep 22, 2026 6:55 pm

Seattle or Bust wrote: ↑
Tue Sep 22, 2026 6:02 pm
If I had my pick (and what I believe the M's would actually do given $$ and history)

Trade George Kirby + Michael Arroyo to the Braves for Ronald Acuna Jr.

The Braves have had 11 "starters" start games for them this year. Both Martin Perez and Tyler Mahle are free agents at year's end. Chris Sale will be 38 next year. And some of their young pitchers like Strider, Ritchie, and Schawver can't stay healthy/have performed quite poorly. They could use a starter for the next couple years. Arroyo could start for them in the OF in place of Acuna and gives them a young, talented piece there. The M's adding Acuna is obvious. Fits their window of contention and need for a RH bat.

Sign RHP Kaima Taira from the NPB

Can start which gives the M's insurance while they wait for Ryan Sloan. Also works in relief and throws 100 mph. M's need a high-leverage BP arm and he would fit well. They've also been sending scouts to see him.

Sign Isaiah Kiner-Falefa as the utility IF

Is he amazing? No. But the M's accumulated almost -4 WAR at 3B and SS this past year. Most of that due to failed bench players. Falefa is a defense-first player who accumulated 1.4 WAR in just 61 games. That's some value for a bench player.

Sign Ramon Laureano as a 4th OF.

Laureano is one season removed from a 3.8 WAR year but struggled this year due to injuries. He hits both dexterities well and plays solid defense.
Screenshot 2026-09-22 115448.png
dt

Seattle or Bust
Posts: 11974
Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2022 7:09 pm

Re: How is the team going to get more right handed?

Post by Seattle or Bust » Tue Sep 22, 2026 6:57 pm

D-train wrote: ↑
Tue Sep 22, 2026 6:55 pm
Seattle or Bust wrote: ↑
Tue Sep 22, 2026 6:02 pm
If I had my pick (and what I believe the M's would actually do given $$ and history)

Trade George Kirby + Michael Arroyo to the Braves for Ronald Acuna Jr.

The Braves have had 11 "starters" start games for them this year. Both Martin Perez and Tyler Mahle are free agents at year's end. Chris Sale will be 38 next year. And some of their young pitchers like Strider, Ritchie, and Schawver can't stay healthy/have performed quite poorly. They could use a starter for the next couple years. Arroyo could start for them in the OF in place of Acuna and gives them a young, talented piece there. The M's adding Acuna is obvious. Fits their window of contention and need for a RH bat.

Sign RHP Kaima Taira from the NPB

Can start which gives the M's insurance while they wait for Ryan Sloan. Also works in relief and throws 100 mph. M's need a high-leverage BP arm and he would fit well. They've also been sending scouts to see him.

Sign Isaiah Kiner-Falefa as the utility IF

Is he amazing? No. But the M's accumulated almost -4 WAR at 3B and SS this past year. Most of that due to failed bench players. Falefa is a defense-first player who accumulated 1.4 WAR in just 61 games. That's some value for a bench player.

Sign Ramon Laureano as a 4th OF.

Laureano is one season removed from a 3.8 WAR year but struggled this year due to injuries. He hits both dexterities well and plays solid defense.
Screenshot 2026-09-22 115448.png
Clearly that Acuna value is inaccurate lol. Trust me, I saw the value before I posted the trade.

Value is down because he's had some injury history. But the Braves aren't trading him for that. We all know it.

User avatar
D-train
Posts: 83412
Joined: Mon Apr 29, 2019 1:33 am
Location: Quincy, MA

Re: How is the team going to get more right handed?

Post by D-train » Tue Sep 22, 2026 7:13 pm

Yeah I was shocked but maybe straight up for Kirby?
dt

User avatar
GL_Storm
Posts: 4630
Joined: Sat Jul 10, 2021 9:00 pm

Re: How is the team going to get more right handed?

Post by GL_Storm » Tue Sep 22, 2026 7:17 pm

They would probably want Sloan for Acuna.

harmony
Posts: 1808
Joined: Thu May 02, 2019 4:59 pm
Location: Portland OR

Re: How is the team going to get more right handed?

Post by harmony » Tue Sep 22, 2026 7:49 pm

DavidGee24 wrote: ↑
Tue Sep 22, 2026 5:03 pm
I think that our best bets at a right-handed pickup would be Suzuki, Alonso (who might opt out) and the guy I really want, Teruaki Sato. Third baseman/outfielder in his age-27 season who hit 35 home runs and put up a .997 OPS this season in Japan. Of course his name probably hasn't even come up in the Mariner front office though.
FWIW Teruaki Sato hits from the left side:

https://npb.jp/bis/eng/players/41045153.html

User avatar
GL_Storm
Posts: 4630
Joined: Sat Jul 10, 2021 9:00 pm

Re: How is the team going to get more right handed?

Post by GL_Storm » Tue Sep 22, 2026 8:11 pm

harmony wrote: ↑
Tue Sep 22, 2026 7:49 pm
DavidGee24 wrote: ↑
Tue Sep 22, 2026 5:03 pm
I think that our best bets at a right-handed pickup would be Suzuki, Alonso (who might opt out) and the guy I really want, Teruaki Sato. Third baseman/outfielder in his age-27 season who hit 35 home runs and put up a .997 OPS this season in Japan. Of course his name probably hasn't even come up in the Mariner front office though.
FWIW Teruaki Sato hits from the left side:

https://npb.jp/bis/eng/players/41045153.html
Is Sato posting this year? I wonder how the lockout will impact the posting process.

User avatar
AZOldDawg
Posts: 1778
Joined: Fri May 03, 2019 1:51 am
Location: Surprise, Arizona

Re: How is the team going to get more right handed?

Post by AZOldDawg » Tue Sep 22, 2026 11:04 pm

D-train wrote: ↑
Tue Sep 22, 2026 7:13 pm
Yeah I was shocked but maybe straight up for Kirby?
I really like your De La Cruz idea but don’t think Jerry would give that many prospects up. Could we sub in Emerson or would his contract be too prohibitive?

User avatar
D-train
Posts: 83412
Joined: Mon Apr 29, 2019 1:33 am
Location: Quincy, MA

Re: How is the team going to get more right handed?

Post by D-train » Tue Sep 22, 2026 11:34 pm

AZOldDawg wrote: ↑
Tue Sep 22, 2026 11:04 pm
D-train wrote: ↑
Tue Sep 22, 2026 7:13 pm
Yeah I was shocked but maybe straight up for Kirby?
I really like your De La Cruz idea but don’t think Jerry would give that many prospects up. Could we sub in Emerson or would his contract be too prohibitive?
Yeah some were saying the Reds might want Colt. I would love that....I just think he is going to be similar to Cole. JAG.
dt

DavidGee24
Posts: 11570
Joined: Wed May 01, 2019 6:24 pm
Location: Phillips Ranch, CA

Re: How is the team going to get more right handed?

Post by DavidGee24 » Tue Sep 22, 2026 11:44 pm

harmony wrote: ↑
Tue Sep 22, 2026 7:49 pm
DavidGee24 wrote: ↑
Tue Sep 22, 2026 5:03 pm
I think that our best bets at a right-handed pickup would be Suzuki, Alonso (who might opt out) and the guy I really want, Teruaki Sato. Third baseman/outfielder in his age-27 season who hit 35 home runs and put up a .997 OPS this season in Japan. Of course his name probably hasn't even come up in the Mariner front office though.
FWIW Teruaki Sato hits from the left side:

https://npb.jp/bis/eng/players/41045153.html
I just saw that and came back here hoping that nobody tattled on me. 😄 I actually would still make him my #1 pursuit, he really is that good.

Post Reply