Promotion for HP Ump Robots

D-train

Promotion for HP Ump Robots

Post by D-train » Fri Jan 21, 2022 12:20 pm

dt

Juliooooo

Re: Promotion for HP Ump Robots

Post by Juliooooo » Fri Jan 21, 2022 1:49 pm

Don't put Robot umps at AAA Tacoma. It only means they will end up busting in the MLB.
The poster formerly known as Kingfelixk. With a new forum comes a new boardname. Julio is my guy, plus we share a birthday, so that's Culiooooo

Adopt a Mariner-Julio Rodriguez

D-train

Post by D-train » Fri Jan 21, 2022 3:54 pm

Juliooooo wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 1:49 pm
Don't put Robot umps at AAA Tacoma. It only means they will end up busting in the MLB.
C3PO Marmolejos...
dt

Sibelius Hindemith

Post by Sibelius Hindemith » Fri Jan 21, 2022 6:21 pm

I think it's sad and unnecessary. Umpires whose strike zones don't correspond to the prescribed boundaries aren't the problem. The real problem is inconsistent strike zones depending on which half of the inning it is and how high leverage the situation. MLB has the tools to expose umpires who cheat and could end it very easily while preserving the aspect of the game where pitchers and batters figure out the ump's strike zone and adjust to it.

GL_Storm

Post by GL_Storm » Fri Jan 21, 2022 6:58 pm

Sibelius Hindemith wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 6:21 pm
I think it's sad and unnecessary. Umpires whose strike zones don't correspond to the prescribed boundaries aren't the problem. The real problem is inconsistent strike zones depending on which half of the inning it is and how high leverage the situation. MLB has the tools to expose umpires who cheat and could end it very easily while preserving the aspect of the game where pitchers and batters figure out the ump's strike zone and adjust to it.
This is basically how I feel. I think umps add a human factor to the game that would be lost with robots.

AT Funchal-Madeira

Post by AT Funchal-Madeira » Fri Jan 21, 2022 7:08 pm

What's the human factor? Error? Or getting catchers than can fool the umpire into calling balls out of the strike zone strikes? Or a different strike zone for the home team? I'm willing to try Robo umps.... whatever it takes to get the calls right.

D-train

Post by D-train » Fri Jan 21, 2022 8:41 pm

AT Funchal-Madeira wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 7:08 pm
What's the human factor? Error? Or getting catchers than can fool the umpire into calling balls out of the strike zone strikes? Or a different strike zone for the home team? I'm willing to try Robo umps.... whatever it takes to get the calls right.
Agree and the HP ump would still be there to call fair foul, out and safe at Home plate. I also think pitch framing is a weird unsportsmanlike phenomena....
dt

Case_Of_The_Runs

Post by Case_Of_The_Runs » Fri Jan 21, 2022 8:44 pm

Please add the following the to collective bargaining agreement:

All HP umpires must attend the Leslie Nielsen school of umpiring.

Attachments
naked-gun-umpire.gif
naked-gun-umpire.gif (1.53 MiB) Viewed 524 times

Case_Of_The_Runs

Post by Case_Of_The_Runs » Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:11 pm

I also think pitch framing is a weird unsportsmanlike phenomena....
Do you think this is similar to playing the shift?

I hate shifts, but I am not sure I think they are unsportsmanlike. Here's an interesting article from last year:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2 ... e-changes/

And then again, I kind of feel that, like, if your only job - one for which you get paid $4M a year - is to hit a baseball where the players ain't, surely to god you can pull the batting coach aside and ask how you can stop fucking pulling the baseball.

Bil522

Post by Bil522 » Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:57 pm

Case_Of_The_Runs wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:11 pm
I also think pitch framing is a weird unsportsmanlike phenomena....
Do you think this is similar to playing the shift?

I hate shifts, but I am not sure I think they are unsportsmanlike. Here's an interesting article from last year:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2 ... e-changes/

And then again, I kind of feel that, like, if your only job - one for which you get paid $4M a year - is to hit a baseball where the players ain't, surely to god you can pull the batting coach aside and ask how you can stop fucking pulling the baseball.
You're assuming the hitting coach knows how that is done