Post Mortem: Hawks v 9 Volts

auroraave
Posts: 2585
Joined: Wed May 01, 2019 9:35 pm
Location: Beverly Hills, Ca.

Post Mortem: Hawks v 9 Volts

Post by auroraave » Mon Oct 05, 2026 1:52 pm

Never been a fan of flag football and yesterday's laundryfest did NOTHING to change my position.

Good. Fucking Grief.

Yeah, there were plenty of legit fouls, but c'mon. Yesterday's crew spent so much time on camera they qualified for SAG cards and already have their first Emmy Nom for M.V.V. (Most Villanous VIllain). That was painful to witness, but more on that later.

3-1. Ugliest game of the year not names Washingon v USC. Yeah, I had to witness both of those living abortions.

Darnold is not yet dialed in - but he'll get there. Looks like he still has a few picks in him, but all QB's do. The season is young, the rhythm is not there yet. I thought once he got that nifty run under his belt he would be lights out. But, alas, we went to mood lighting instead.

Conservative game plan. Again. Perhaps intentionally. I think Fleury is playing the long game strategy - keeping the playbook minimal - not giving tape on what we have - we will unleash more later. Wilson quietly has much-needed huge day. Really game saving. Also, I like Holani, he is a solid player, but what he is not, is fast. Enough "second/third and long" outside runs - he is not fast enough to get around the edge - he is strictly a north/south runner - kindly use him accordingly. Also a bit curious why we insist on running every single play over the right side - where Bradford was. He's a mauler in the run game - but he ain't in there. Let's rethink that, 'kay?

Mid season MVP - Shaheed, of course. :D I think we are also minimizing his playbook, to be opened against divisional opponents down the road. Long game strategy. More to come from him.

Defense? Hmmm. Mixed bag. What felt like domination - really wasn't. We gave up 300 yards to that dumpsterfire offense. Third and long? No problem! The penalties were obv a HUGE factor in extending drives. Maddening, honestly. Defense needs to reset their brains into 'smart' mode and play with more awareness and discipline. Giving up 23 to the 9 volts almost feels embarrassing - the fact there were in it at the end - feels embarrassing. This should have been a blowout - but in typical Seahawk fashion we let 'em hang the fuck around.

I guess the good news is we play SF this week - a team we should not have any problem getting up for. This could very well be our break out game. It will say a lot about the direction of the team - one way or another. SF is a problem - let's see if we rise to the challenge.

Williams injury appears to be not serious. We may have Okada back.

There needs to be an honest conversation about the state of football, the NFL's brand in particular. College is a whole other convo, to be had at another time, but what the literal fuck is going on with the NFL?

Games like yesterday's abomination are stark reminders the players do not control games, the refs do, or at last they have shown a willingness to do so. My mind immediately defaults to 'who gains from pre-determined outcomes?" and when combined with "oh, wow, Fanduel and the NFL are currently dating hard" it's pretty easy to be skeptical about the integrity of NFL game anymore. Sports is littered with factual evidence of games thrown, careers sacrificed, mob interference, all for the almighty gambling dollar. We 100% know it is going on, but yesterday's unwatchable shitfest is a grim reminder of the intersection of money and opportunity and the decline of integrity in the game.

The takaway from yesterdays game was not "Oh, Seattle won!" It was "OMG the officiating!" The win didn't make the top ten list of post game stories - that's how bad it was.

I have said it many times on here, and you know fuck all well, I am gonna say it again: The NFL is a consumable product. Nothing more. The product, really since 2010ish, has become hard to consume. Over legislation, merging gambling into the games, tainted officiating, more tainted officiating, it feels like it is all coming to a head. As consumers, the NFL banks on our un wavering fandom, as a way to extort us. For me, and I feel like this is a growing trend, the NFL has gone from Wagyu Beef, to an undercooked Little Caesars pizza - the product is becoming unpalatable - and it is 100% due to greed. Pigs get fat, pigs get slaughtered.

It reminds me a lot of what has happened to Hollywood - shoving worn out IP's and remakes down the throats of burned out and uninterested consumers. They have slit thier own throats. There's more to that, but I'll skip it for now. You're welcome.

I consume less football now than I ever have - I grew up an absolute fanatic - now the college game has gone completely off the rails - but the NFL - I just can't with Little Caesar's. The only thing that has kept the NFL on my radar is the fact Seattle has been so good for so long now - a fucking fantastic problem to have - I felt this way in the Wilson years - exciting team, SB contenders - I was not ready to give up on the game, but I could see the decline of the league despite the ascention of the Seattle franchise. A truly bittersweet situation.

The NFL is doing everything they can to drive consumers away. To make the league entirely about sports betting. Giving a narcissistic middle finger to the fans and consumers and saying "so, what? WTF are you gonna do about it, stop watching?"

Well, eventually, yes. The NFL is just so completely tone deaf to the consumers anymore. Perhaps, the real consumers, the only ones that matter to the NFL, are the gamblers.

SInce we hoisted the trophy last year, I've spent too much time wondering if the NFL greased Seattle's way into the SB to drive up valuation for the impending sale. I wondered if the new owners were targeted because they might be willing to relocate a franchise overseas - where the NFL can spread thier disease to a whole new market. A horrible thought, right? But that is where my mind is with this league anymore.

Discuss at your leisure.

Bring on the Niners!

Go hawks....

User avatar
douche
Posts: 3118
Joined: Wed Oct 23, 2019 6:41 pm

Re: Post Mortem: Hawks v 9 Volts

Post by douche » Mon Oct 05, 2026 2:21 pm

You neglected to mention that the Bolts are now 0-4. :D

User avatar
D-train
Posts: 83412
Joined: Mon Apr 29, 2019 1:33 am
Location: Quincy, MA

Re: Post Mortem: Hawks v 9 Volts

Post by D-train » Mon Oct 05, 2026 3:32 pm

Games like yesterday's abomination are stark reminders the players do not control games, the refs do, or at last they have shown a willingness to do so. My mind immediately defaults to 'who gains from pre-determined outcomes?" and when combined with "oh, wow, Fanduel and the NFL are currently dating hard" it's pretty easy to be skeptical about the integrity of NFL game anymore. Sports is littered with factual evidence of games thrown, careers sacrificed, mob interference, all for the almighty gambling dollar. We 100% know it is going on, but yesterday's unwatchable shitfest is a grim reminder of the intersection of money and opportunity and the decline of integrity in the game.
The NFL is a business with $23 Billion in revenues. That's 23,000 MILLION dollars but you are convinced they are going to risk all of that in a massive conspiracy involving HUNDREDS of league employees and on field Officials to intentionally impact the outcomes of games with bad calls to make a few million??? And all of these people involved from Goodell down to a random line judge are all going to be complicit and decide not be a whistle blower. Pardon the pun.

btw Do you believe a random Girl scout troupe was responsible for 911 vs. terrorists as well. lol
dt

Donn Beach
Posts: 21168
Joined: Thu May 02, 2019 1:06 am

Re: Post Mortem: Hawks v 9 Volts

Post by Donn Beach » Mon Oct 05, 2026 3:56 pm

The NFL is the equivalent of Vegas, they get paid no matter who wins. Yeah games get fixed, that's because someone has a monetary interest in influencing the outcome. The NFL is laying bets in Vegas? They don't care who wins, the one thing that could impact their profits is games being tarnished as being fixed.

It's interesting how they have embraced gambling these days, that's because they see money to be made, but the money is in producing clean honest games for gamblers to bet on, not being the ones fixing them. Same as Vegas, Vegas would collapse if it was viewed as presenting fixed games
.
And yeah, refs are there to control the games, that's their purpose.

User avatar
D-train
Posts: 83412
Joined: Mon Apr 29, 2019 1:33 am
Location: Quincy, MA

Re: Post Mortem: Hawks v 9 Volts

Post by D-train » Mon Oct 05, 2026 4:15 pm

Here's another little monkey wrench in the conspiracy theory. Goodell is worth over a quarter billion dollars.

But he is going to decide to illegally throw games for gambling purposes and risk significant jail time complete disgrace and humiliation to slightly increase NFL revenues. It's so beyond Preposterous I can't even wrap my head around it. LOL
Screenshot_20261005_091207_Chrome.jpg
dt

Donn Beach
Posts: 21168
Joined: Thu May 02, 2019 1:06 am

Re: Post Mortem: Hawks v 9 Volts

Post by Donn Beach » Mon Oct 05, 2026 4:34 pm

How would fixing games increase the NFLs revenue? That's where I'm lost. It's Goodell doing it personally? Like some Uber Tim Donaghy situation? That would be pretty wild.

And the thing is, it's like the deal with Balmer. Could you imagine the glory of someone uncovering a story like that? There's so many eyes on them

User avatar
D-train
Posts: 83412
Joined: Mon Apr 29, 2019 1:33 am
Location: Quincy, MA

Re: Post Mortem: Hawks v 9 Volts

Post by D-train » Mon Oct 05, 2026 5:34 pm

And with Donaghy just a few people knew about it and he got busted. This would involved HUNDREDS like I mentioned earlier....
dt

User avatar
douche
Posts: 3118
Joined: Wed Oct 23, 2019 6:41 pm

Re: Post Mortem: Hawks v 9 Volts

Post by douche » Mon Oct 05, 2026 6:12 pm

I see it this way... the NFL doesn't just want football fans to watch the games, they want EVERYONE to watch the games. It's a business, so they're just trying to expand their customer base. A bigger piece of the pie. It's understandable in a capitalistic society. But I think somewhere along the way, the NFL's greed has taken over and detracted from the game. Which sucks for the actual football fans.

But fixing games for gambling? Not saying it isn't a possibility, but I'm also not sold on the notion.

That said, I wish I had a 2% stake in an NFL team. Any team.

Donn Beach
Posts: 21168
Joined: Thu May 02, 2019 1:06 am

Re: Post Mortem: Hawks v 9 Volts

Post by Donn Beach » Mon Oct 05, 2026 6:29 pm

For as popular as football is its really pretty regional seems to me. As opposed to baseball. There you have teams that get marketed around the country, Cubs, Red Sox, Yankees, Dodgers. Who does football have? The Cowboys, Raiders to a certain extent. I really don't see the Rams that way. Teams like the Jets, Giants, Bears haven't done it. You have small market teams like the Packers and Vikings probably more popular around the country. It's like the Packers stamped football with a different sort of enduring image as opposed to the Yankees and baseball

User avatar
D-train
Posts: 83412
Joined: Mon Apr 29, 2019 1:33 am
Location: Quincy, MA

Re: Post Mortem: Hawks v 9 Volts

Post by D-train » Mon Oct 05, 2026 6:37 pm

douche wrote: ↑
Mon Oct 05, 2026 6:12 pm
I see it this way... the NFL doesn't just want football fans to watch the games, they want EVERYONE to watch the games. It's a business, so they're just trying to expand their customer base. A bigger piece of the pie. It's understandable in a capitalistic society. But I think somewhere along the way, the NFL's greed has taken over and detracted from the game. Which sucks for the actual football fans.

But fixing games for gambling? Not saying it isn't a possibility, but I'm also not sold on the notion.

That said, I wish I had a 2% stake in an NFL team. Any team.
I saw a lot of people say the game was unwatchable yesterday. Hard to argue that 30 penalties doesn't result in a far worse product. I agree. But unwatchable? I wouldn't go that far. Would it be more watchable if they eliminated all the QB protection rules and we had massive QB injuries and we were watching 2nd, 3rd and 4th string QBs all season? Be careful what you wish for.

I think there is a happy medium. For example the rule about not landing on the QB on a sack is ridiculous imo. So you can land on a RB who are about the same size and no penalty but with a QB it is? F that.

But you have to have some sort of protection when they are vulnerable like taking their legs out when they are planted making a throw. Just like with roughing the punter.
dt

Post Reply