Rick Rizzs Retiring
-
Captain 97
- Posts: 3938
- Joined: Mon May 06, 2019 9:23 pm
Rick Rizzs Retiring
https://www.mlb.com/press-release/marin ... 026-season
Going to miss him. Hopefully they due their diligence in hiring a good replacement. Don't want a repeat of the Simms debacle.
Going to miss him. Hopefully they due their diligence in hiring a good replacement. Don't want a repeat of the Simms debacle.
Re: Rick Rizzs Retiring
Quite a run. I never listen to the radio though so won't even notice. Yes, Simms was a nightmare. I can't believe how many fans loved him.
dt
- Sibelius Hindemith
- Posts: 16634
- Joined: Thu May 02, 2019 3:09 am
- Location: Seattle
Re: Rick Rizzs Retiring
I'm sure Jerry will now be trying harder than ever to win the WS to honor RR for his 40 years of calling games for the Ms. 
Re: Rick Rizzs Retiring
Seems like a nice guy. Had a great career. Time to retire and fade into irrelevancy. Hopefully they hire someone good to take his place.
Re: Rick Rizzs Retiring
So you listen on the radio? People obviously do but I just can't imagine consumer sports on the radio when you can watch it.
dt
Re: Rick Rizzs Retiring
Same here. There were times Rizzs filled in, but Mike Curto's the guy who, in my opinion, absolutely killed it in his time filling in for the M's.
His knowledge of the game, and the minor leaguers, was great.
Couldn't believe they sent him back to AAA after.
Re: Rick Rizzs Retiring
I hope Rizz is more prepared for retirement than I was. And he is giving up 100x more than I did.
dt
Re: Rick Rizzs Retiring
Almost never. I think I listened to parts of 2 games on the radio last year.
- mostonmike
- Posts: 3795
- Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2021 4:35 pm
- Location: Manchester, England
Re: Rick Rizzs Retiring
Rizzs has the ultimate "broadcast voice" - a distinctively recognisable voice and I've put his commentary on many times instead of listening to the tv broadcast. Plus, with modern tech I've tuned in to many matinee games (prime time here) when driving home from work.
Radio may be a dying art so maybe mourning his departure is a bit much. Those who don't give the radio more than a passing thought, I'd understand that its not that much of a big deal. But he seems to be a part of Mariner folklore and its a shame he's not departing with the team in a better spot.
Even if the catchphrases are not unique to him, I'll miss his trademark lines.
Holy Smokes.
Goodbye Baseball.
Radio may be a dying art so maybe mourning his departure is a bit much. Those who don't give the radio more than a passing thought, I'd understand that its not that much of a big deal. But he seems to be a part of Mariner folklore and its a shame he's not departing with the team in a better spot.
Even if the catchphrases are not unique to him, I'll miss his trademark lines.
Holy Smokes.
Goodbye Baseball.