Rick Rizzs Retiring

Captain 97
Posts: 3938
Joined: Mon May 06, 2019 9:23 pm

Rick Rizzs Retiring

Post by Captain 97 » Tue Jan 27, 2026 8:58 pm

https://www.mlb.com/press-release/marin ... 026-season

Going to miss him. Hopefully they due their diligence in hiring a good replacement. Don't want a repeat of the Simms debacle.

User avatar
D-train
Posts: 83188
Joined: Mon Apr 29, 2019 1:33 am
Location: Quincy, MA

Re: Rick Rizzs Retiring

Post by D-train » Tue Jan 27, 2026 9:22 pm

Quite a run. I never listen to the radio though so won't even notice. Yes, Simms was a nightmare. I can't believe how many fans loved him.
dt

User avatar
Sibelius Hindemith
Posts: 16634
Joined: Thu May 02, 2019 3:09 am
Location: Seattle

Re: Rick Rizzs Retiring

Post by Sibelius Hindemith » Tue Jan 27, 2026 9:47 pm

I'm sure Jerry will now be trying harder than ever to win the WS to honor RR for his 40 years of calling games for the Ms. 🥴

User avatar
D-train
Posts: 83188
Joined: Mon Apr 29, 2019 1:33 am
Location: Quincy, MA

Re: Rick Rizzs Retiring

Post by D-train » Thu Jan 29, 2026 12:19 am

:lol: :lol: :lol: Soy boy gone wild.

dt

User avatar
GL_Storm
Posts: 4597
Joined: Sat Jul 10, 2021 9:00 pm

Re: Rick Rizzs Retiring

Post by GL_Storm » Thu Jan 29, 2026 1:53 am

Seems like a nice guy. Had a great career. Time to retire and fade into irrelevancy. Hopefully they hire someone good to take his place.

User avatar
D-train
Posts: 83188
Joined: Mon Apr 29, 2019 1:33 am
Location: Quincy, MA

Re: Rick Rizzs Retiring

Post by D-train » Thu Jan 29, 2026 2:23 am

GL_Storm wrote: ↑
Thu Jan 29, 2026 1:53 am
Seems like a nice guy. Had a great career. Time to retire and fade into irrelevancy. Hopefully they hire someone good to take his place.
So you listen on the radio? People obviously do but I just can't imagine consumer sports on the radio when you can watch it.
dt

User avatar
bpj
Posts: 15881
Joined: Mon Apr 29, 2019 12:55 am

Re: Rick Rizzs Retiring

Post by bpj » Thu Jan 29, 2026 4:23 am

D-train wrote: ↑
Tue Jan 27, 2026 9:22 pm
Quite a run. I never listen to the radio though so won't even notice. Yes, Simms was a nightmare. I can't believe how many fans loved him.
Same here. There were times Rizzs filled in, but Mike Curto's the guy who, in my opinion, absolutely killed it in his time filling in for the M's.

His knowledge of the game, and the minor leaguers, was great.

Couldn't believe they sent him back to AAA after.

User avatar
D-train
Posts: 83188
Joined: Mon Apr 29, 2019 1:33 am
Location: Quincy, MA

Re: Rick Rizzs Retiring

Post by D-train » Thu Jan 29, 2026 5:21 am

I hope Rizz is more prepared for retirement than I was. And he is giving up 100x more than I did.
dt

User avatar
GL_Storm
Posts: 4597
Joined: Sat Jul 10, 2021 9:00 pm

Re: Rick Rizzs Retiring

Post by GL_Storm » Thu Jan 29, 2026 6:13 am

D-train wrote: ↑
Thu Jan 29, 2026 2:23 am
GL_Storm wrote: ↑
Thu Jan 29, 2026 1:53 am
Seems like a nice guy. Had a great career. Time to retire and fade into irrelevancy. Hopefully they hire someone good to take his place.
So you listen on the radio? People obviously do but I just can't imagine consumer sports on the radio when you can watch it.
Almost never. I think I listened to parts of 2 games on the radio last year.

User avatar
mostonmike
Posts: 3795
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2021 4:35 pm
Location: Manchester, England

Re: Rick Rizzs Retiring

Post by mostonmike » Sun Sep 27, 2026 8:20 am

Rizzs has the ultimate "broadcast voice" - a distinctively recognisable voice and I've put his commentary on many times instead of listening to the tv broadcast. Plus, with modern tech I've tuned in to many matinee games (prime time here) when driving home from work.

Radio may be a dying art so maybe mourning his departure is a bit much. Those who don't give the radio more than a passing thought, I'd understand that its not that much of a big deal. But he seems to be a part of Mariner folklore and its a shame he's not departing with the team in a better spot.

Even if the catchphrases are not unique to him, I'll miss his trademark lines.

Holy Smokes.
Goodbye Baseball.

Post Reply